Brazil World Cup Squad decision looms as Ancelotti weighs Neymar's fitness and fans' pleas

Carlo Ancelotti will name Brazil World Cup Squad on May 18 at the Museu do Amanhã; his choice over Neymar, injured since Oct. 17, 2023, will end a monthslong debate.

Published
2 Min Read
Carlo Ancelotti on ‘bombshell’ Neymar decision that would rock Brazil’s 2026 World Cup squad - with record goalscorer ‘much loved’ by team-mates | Goal.com Nigeria

will announce Brazil's final 26-man roster for the 2026 World Cup on Monday, May 18 at the — a decision that will resolve whether 34-year-old , Brazil's all-time record goalscorer, returns to the national team.

The numbers underline the stakes: Neymar was named on a preliminary list of 54 players that must now be cut to 26, and fans gathered in at the Museu do Amanhã chanting for his inclusion and holding banners calling for the number 10.

Neymar has not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury in the South American qualifier against on October 17, 2023, and he did not appear in Brazil's March friendlies against France and Croatia in the . That long absence — and his age — are central to the choice Ancelotti must make.

Ancelotti has repeatedly framed the decision as a balancing act, saying a coach has to weigh many elements when choosing a squad. He has stressed that Neymar remains important because of the talent he has always shown, that the player has had problems but is working hard to recover, and that he has improved his fitness a lot in recent matches and is playing regularly. The coach also acknowledged Neymar is deeply loved by both the public and his teammates and that the atmosphere around the call-up is one of the factors he will consider.

At the same time, Ancelotti has set clear boundaries: he said he will be guided solely by on-field performance and that the final decision will be entirely professional. He has previously declared he would only select players who are 100% physically fit, and he has indicated he will not spring a surprise on the dressing room when the list is revealed.

The immediate context is simple but unforgiving. Brazil must trim a 54-player preliminary roster down to 26, and Ancelotti's fitness standard narrows the pool. Neymar's inclusion on the preliminary list keeps him in contention, but his extended absence from the national side and the missed March friendlies complicate any straightforward call.

The tension is plain: street-level pressure pushing for Neymar's return collided with a coaching position anchored in fitness and form. Fans chanted for Neymar outside the announcement venue, and Ancelotti has said the public mood matters; yet he has also insisted the only criterion that will dictate his choice is how each player is performing as a footballer.

What happens next is fixed in time: on Monday, May 18 at the Museu do Amanhã, Ancelotti will publish the that settles Neymar's fate with the national team. For Neymar, for the fans who filled the square, and for a coach who says he will follow only performance and fitness, that announcement will decide whether a long absence ends with a place in the squad or with another chapter left unresolved.

TAGGED:
Share This Article